Warning: This poem deals with some touchy topics. Highlight to read the warnings, some of which are spoilers. It features bald women, messy medical details, references to past cases of cancer, infertility, distracting visions of Amazon life, historic references to dubious consent and inane attitudes, fostering, failed conversions, frank talk about death, and other challenges. If these are sensitive issues for you, please consider your tastes and headspace before reading onward.
( Read more... )
If you’re feeling disconnected, if you are having a hard time engaging in the world and it feels like no one sees you, if you are having a hard time finding joy or finding the will to strive towards goals you have wanted, here’s a little refocusing pep talk.
First of all, it is no great mystery right now why you are having a hard time connecting. I don’t know who you are and I don’t know your life, but I know if you have a soul and are aware of what’s going on in the world as a compassionate person, you are probably stressed, worried and afraid, even if you are leading a sheltered and/or privileged existence.
And if you aren’t leading a sheltered existence, if you’re struggling with pain, illness, financial stress, housing stress or discrimination, the past year has made all those things a lot worse.
It is this way for pretty much every compassionate soul I know.
There are things you love to do, things you are very good at, things that usually provide you joy, and if you were NOT under a huge amount of stress, they’d probably still be working right now.
Because I’m a giant nerd, I’m going to put this in computer terms.
When your system is new, and hasn’t gotten bogged down, you may have plenty of emotional resources on top of what you need to get out of bed in the morning. That 8 gigs of RAM is great when you haven’t loaded all your worries.bin and intrusivethoughts.dll and Politics.exe.
When shit gets real, your entire processor, RAM and disk drive get completely sidetracked by dealing with the cognitive and emotional demands of dealingwithcrap.html.
EVERYTHING slows down. Nonessential processes get ignored. Essential processes don’t work very well.
I’m not going to tell you there’s a magic solution, but I can tell you where the problem ISN’T and give you some strategies for freeing up resources in the short term.
- The problem is not you. This shit is genuinely, objectively hard. Literally everyone is struggling with it. Rich celebrities are struggling with it, and they can literally buy all the stress relief that money can buy… but they can’t just fix the problem.
- Just because it’s hard for everyone doesn’t mean that your struggle is small or irrelevant. Survivor’s guilt or “Privilege guilt” from not having to struggle with EVERY issue will not help the people who are dealing with worse, and it will not help you. It is understandable to have thoughts about “But other people have it worse!” But please do not use that as a reason not to give yourself a break for struggling with what is, objectively, hard, even if it isn’t objectively the “hardest”. (Literally everyone thinks there’s someone worse off than them. And they’re right. It doesn’t MATTER in the triage of “Do you get to feel bad.” Yes. You can feel bad.
- “Other people are coping better! If someone who is disabled can cope so well, why can’t I?” First of all, that idea can fuck off. I can tell you that for me, a disabled person, one of the reasons I can do some of the things I do is that my inability to do all the things that people normally do means that that stuff has been picked up by a support system I am lucky to have,
If you see someone on a prosthetic leg running marathons, it’s because they had the support system to get that prosthetic leg, the physical training to learn how to use it, medical care, etc… they did not just magically wake up in the morning as an amputee with no resources and run a marathon. I’m not out running marathons because my disability precludes that kind of exercise and it’s not a reasonable goal for me to have.
There are a fair number of accomplishments which can bend to sheer force of will, but even force of will (read: sustained focused effort) is a RESOURCE that not everyone is good at, and some people who sometimes have a strong force of will, do not ALWAYS have a strong force of will in every situation.
So, how to free up resources?
- Forgive yourself up front. It’s hard enough dealing with all the shit without having to deal with your own self-flagellation. It’s a hard habit to get out of. Use self talk. “This is legitimately hard. Anyone would have a hard time with this. I’m not a bad person for having difficulty with a difficult thing.”
- Break things into manageable chunks.
- If your phone has a calendar function, put everything into it. Operate under the assumption that you’re having a hard time and let yourself lean on the tools available to keep track, even when your brain is not registering everything. You do not need to store your entire calendar in your brain. Set up reminders.
- Look for ways to streamline. I fill a pill-minder with my meds every two weeks, and the ones that don’t go in the pill-minder are literally the first thing I see when I sit up in bed in the morning. This saves a lot. If you have an elaborate hair and makeup routine, if it is too much, look for ways to simplify. When purchasing clothes, look for ways to minimize your decision-making. Don’t waste cognitive function on trivial shit that can be managed structurally.
- Block out specific time to check on current events and pay attention to the national shitshow… and ONLY that time. Don’t wallow for 8 hours at a stretch on the national news, it is NOT good for your mental health. It is possible to take in the full horror in under an hour per day. You can’t fix it all, but you can pick which issues you devote time to and what kind of time you spend. Aggregators like WTF and even Late Night hosts can help streamline the process of checking in with less stress than watching national news.
- Allow yourself down time. It’s hard to be social when everyone is so stressed.
- If you need connection, sometimes structured activities, volunteering, church if you go (there are very progressive churches available) are easier than casual social events.
- Reach out online. You are not alone.
Now, there are going to be times when you really just have to get shit done. When you need your brain to shut the fuck up for a bit and let you DO.
Here are the SHORT TERM tricks to get your brain in gear.
- Compartmentalize. Need to go have a job interview? Need to take a test? Time for some visualization. Picture all the shit that is weighing you down, every intrusive thought, as things that you can pack into an envelope or a picnic basket or hell, a U-haul if they’re big enough. Put ‘em all in. Every one of them. Close up the basket and set it down inside your front door. When you walk out that door, all that stuff stays at home. It will be there when you get back, we’re not throwing it out. Just don’t take it with you to school, to your job interview. DO pick it back up when you get home. We’re not burying it, we’re just giving it a time and place.
- Some of the intrusive worries may be livelier than others. If they try to follow you out the door, or show up when you don’t want them, give them the name and voice of someone you don’t like or trust and would dismiss out of hand. “You’re terrible at this.”
“Shut up, Kellyanne, no one trusts you.”
“Just hit the snoozebutton, it doesn’t matter.”
“Fuck off Chad, I’m getting up.”
It just needs to be someone you would roll your eyes at.
(h/t to the Check please fandom for this one, IDK who posted it first, but it stuck with me as one of the most useful things I’ve ever learned online.)
- Be nice to your future self by taking care of literally everything you possibly can the night before. Pick out clothes. Decide what you will eat. Have a checklist if you need to. Find everything that needs finding while you’re awake. I know this sounds overly organized but it’s something I’ve had to do because if I didn’t, mornings were hell and involved me driving people places when I wanted to be asleep because we missed a bus. It is ten times easier to find clothes when you’re not supposed to be out the door in ten minutes. This is all done cognitively. Some people do these things instinctively? I guess? I don’t. I have to think about every single step every time. But it’s worth it to not have a panic attack when I’m trying to get someplace important and am ending up late. When I was still responsible for getting my kids to school, I could get my middle child from sound asleep to the bus in about 7 minutes because everything was completely set up ahead of time.
Anyway. I hope some of this helps. If nothing else, remembering that this is a reasonable response to unreasonably stimulus has helped me immeasurably.
Health, LIfe, Mental Health
It's funny--I adore this show but declined to request it for Yuletide. Besides it being a highly jossable canon, what I really want is bona fide philosophy neepery, and I'm pretty sure 99% of the fandom wants to write about relationships. There's plenty of shipfic I would read for this fandom, but I really really want philosophy neepery. And, I mean, 2.5 was basically my Platonic ideal in terms of episode content.
ซ่อมไอโฟน รับซ่อมทุกอาการ ประสบการณ์มากกว่า 9 ปี รับประกันหลังการ ซ่อมไอโฟน นาน 3 เดือน พร้อมของแถม และโปรโมชั่น ฟรีค่าน้ำมัน 100 บาท สำหรับลูกค้าที่เดินทางไกลมากกว่า 10 กม.
ร้านซ่อมไอโฟน คิมล็อคเทเลคอม ตั้งอยู่ที่ ตรงข้ามกับสนามฟุตบอลหญ้าเทียม ม.ภาค ขอนแก่น ยินดีให้คำปรึกษา และแก้ปัญหาเกี่ยวกับไอโฟน แมค ไอพอด ฯลฯ ผลิตภัณฑ์ของบริษัทแอปเปิล ทุกชนิด เราซ่อมได้ อาการจอไอโฟนแตก ,เครื่องค้าง,ไอโฟน error,error 9, 4005, 4013 หรือ 4014 ,ทัชสกรีนเสีย ,เปลี่ยนแบตฯ ,เปิดไม่ติด,เมนบอร์ดเสีย อาการอื่นๆ มั่นใจซ่อมได้ทุกอาการ
ด้วยประสบการณ์การซ่อมที่สั่งสมนานหลายปี จึงได้เห็น ได้สัมผัส ซ่อมมาหลายเคส หลายอาการ จึงมั่นใจได้ว่าเราซ่อมได้ทุกอาการแน่นอน การันตี ผลงานการซ่อมได้จากลูกค้าที่ใช้บริการ งานซ่อมไอโฟนกับเรา เสียงตอบกลับมาส่วนใหญ่จะพอใจในการซ่อมของ
ซ่อมไอโฟน ทั่วประเทศ ลูกค้าสามารถโทรสอบถามราคา เล่าถึงอาการเสีย เพื่อให้มั่นใจได้ว่าเราซ่อมได้จริงก่อนได
เมื่อเครื่องของลูกค้าส่งมาถึงร้านเราแล้ว จะทำการตรวจเช็คอาการ ถ้างบประมาณเกินกว่าที่แจ้งทางเราจะโทรแจ้
นอกจากจะซ่อมแล้ว เรายังให้คำแนะนำการใช้งาน เพื่อยืดอายุการใช้งานไอโฟนที่คุณรักให้สา
คิมล็อค เทเลคอม ให้บริการรับซ่อมไอโฟน ซ่อมผลิตภัณฑ์ของบริษัทแอปเปิล ทุกชนิด ทั่วประเทศ
สำหรับลูกค้าที่อยู่ ขอนแก่น สามารถเดินทางมาซ่อมที่ร้าน ตั้งอยู่ตรงข้ามสนามฟุตบอลหญ้าเทียม ม.ภาค ขอนแก่น
สำหรับลูกค้า ที่อยู่ต่างจังหวัด สามารถเดินทางมาซ่อมที่ร้านเราได้ ซ่อมด่วน ซ่อมเร็ว รอรับได้เลย ซ่อมเสร็จเราคืนค่าน้ำมันให้ลูกค้าที่เดิน
สำหรับลูกค้าที่อยู่ไกล ไม่สามารถเดินทางมาซ่อมได้ด้วยตัวเอง สามารถส่งสินค้ามาทางไปรษณีย์ไทย หรือ ขนส่งเอกชน มาตามที่อยู่ร้าน หลังซ่อมเสร็จ ส่งคืนสินค้าให้ลูกค้าทันที
499/3 หมู่7 ตำบล บ้านเป็ด อำเภอ เมือง จังหวัด ขอนแก่น 40000
เมล์ : firstname.lastname@example.org
Line ID : jomyut2499
Website : http://ร้านซ่อมไอโฟน.com/ซ่อมไอโฟน
I set myself up for stumbling, even failure, in so many ways. I read tutorials grudgingly at best and resent the way they all skip over so many details about why and what else, the explanations are too narrow to trust. I do try different techniques, but rarely on scrap or waste material. The idea of proper scrap/trash is a concept uncomfortably close to luxury -- to have so much of something that you can waste some deliberately. Winging it is perfect for making something that works, but also guarantees rough edges and parts that make you cringe.
I should get the completed pieces scanned, for documentation, but I haven't managed to find a good way to do that yet. Selling prints is not an impossible plan, but feels even more out of reach than any other part of this -- who would want a mediocre print of a questionable scan of a piece of crappy art?
I make things that disappoint me and are mostly useless, but I do it anyway. I wonder if this qualifies as mindfulness, or some kind of monk-like devotional practice, or just pointless stoicism.
I couldn't help think of Terramagne. People there often weave their hobbies into work. If you go into a business, you may see the owner's collection of china plates over the door. Things like flower arranging are often done by clubs, where you can pay a higher fee to take it home to display in your house or business, but a lower fee if you just want to make something fun and then it goes to a library or hospital or women's shelter where lots of people can enjoy it. And all that stuff gives folks something to talk about as they go through their day. "Did you see the new painting in Burger Bash? Carrie's son did a giraffe this time." "Yeah, he's getting really good."
We visited with my parents and dropped off a batch of poetry, already sponsored. I don't know whether I'll have time to post this tonight or wait until tomorrow. You can look forward to "Death Whispers at the Tip," "Capable of Stretching," and "A Moment of Atonement."
For supper, we went to a new Japanese restaurant in Danville called Fujiyama. I am only somewhat a fan of Japanese cuisine -- I love sushi but can't each much of it -- and not at all a fan of flaming tables. This place greatly exceeded my expectations. First, the performance area is separate from the regular dining area, so that was a big relief. People who want excitement can get it without bothering people who want to relax. \o/ Second, the menu has lots of tasty things to choose from. I picked out two different appetizers to fill up on (pork dumplings and coconut shrimp) and then had a piece of the sushi that other folks got (California Roll, Spicy Volcano Roll, and Bayridge Roll. Where things really got interesting: they will make "reasonable substitutions" in the sushi constructions if there are things you can't eat; replacing avocado with cream cheese is a standard substitution. :D I have never found a sushi place that would change anything, they all acted like their recipes were dipped in gold or something. So if you are looking for a special-diet-friendly sushi place, check out Fujiyama.
My father sent home a bag of 30 bulbs, which at a quick glance seem to be a random mix of tulips and daffodils. I think I will plant them in the prairie garden en masse.
Music: "Titanium" by David Guetta ft. Sia
Fandom: Wonder Woman (2017)
Focus: Wonder Woman
Summary: You shoot me down, but I won't fall.
Content Notes: Physical triggers (e.g., epilepsy or migraine: strobe lights, bright lights, "stuttery" cuts between 2-3 stills)
Notes: Thank you to chaila for looking over the vid for me!
Download Link: Titanium (89mb)
So when I first watched the new Wonder Woman movie, I knew that someone had to make a vid to this song as Titanium and Wonder Woman go together forever for me thanks to giandujakiss's amazing vid to the TV show here. When the movie finally was available to vid, I tried to think of what I wanted to vid it to and decided to vid it to this song since this song and the movie meant a lot to me while I was going through hard times in June and I wanted to make a vid to the movie that would represent all the things I loved about the movie. This was one of the BEST experiences I've ever had as I had so much fun lovingly getting to clip every frame of Diana and then getting to vid her being awesome and only vidding the parts of the movie I loved was paradise for me. I originally was going to make the vid shorter but then I kept having to include more scenes and I was happy I added a section for young Diana. For the most part, the vid came together easily and I was happy that the vid came out the way I saw it in my head. Plus I got to premiere the vid at my birthday party with myself dressed up as Wonder Woman with my friends and it was an amazing experience :D
But that is such a simplification of just a few of the things they have done in that time.
They are excellent gardeners. The grounds have been the site of more than one tour over the years. They managed to take an overgrown ivy forest and create (re-create) more formal gardens. They work hard to maintain it and expand on what they have done.
Want to know where I got my smarts from? Them. They encouraged us to use our brains. To not take things at face value. I knew how to use the scientific method from about the age of 5. Both of my parents are very intelligent individuals. They taught us to be proud of the fact that we could out think most people on the planet if we put our minds to it.
My crafty inclinations come from both of them. My mother made us clothing and lots of other items. I can remember as a kid she made me paper wings and a vest so I could be a flying monkey from the Wizard of Oz which was my favorite character in that film. She was very clever in recycling things for us to play with. I remember when Star Wars came out, my father made a set of LED eyes and put them on a headband. My mother made the rest of the outfit and my brother was a Jawa that Halloween. My father makes cloisonné pins. I still have a number that he made me over the years. My father and I share a love of photography. His nickname is Grandpaparazzie.
My love of reading has it beginnings with my parents. They read to me when I couldn’t. And once I could, they encouraged me to read. They introduced me to authors that they liked. I get my love of literature from them. I have very fond memories of my father reading “Wind in the Willows” and “the Hobbit” to me.
My parents taught me my moral compass by example. I saw what they did and how they treat people and mimicked what they did. They taught me that everyone is worthy of common respect. That being polite to everyone was the way to live. I knew my parents were liberal Democrats before I knew what the term was. They believe in fairness to all and that no one was above anyone else.
All that I am I owe to my parents. And I don’t think I can ever thank them enough.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. Enjoy your meal at Le Grotta.
I am so very grateful that my parents are my parents.
Leaving aside all Doylistic reasons (i.e., that at the time, Lucas had no idea Obi-Wan was lying about anything!), given canon as it currently stands, I feel like I can only blame Obi-Wan for not clearing up 1 (Darth Vader is your father) and 5 (Princess Leia is your sister). More on that below but first, I will quickly dispatch the others:
- 2. Owen was Anakin's stepbrother and they only met once is irrelevant to Luke's situation, because Owen and Beru raised Luke and loved him and were his family in all ways that matter. Otoh, this part: Obi-Wan could have saved himself a lot of time by just telling the kid that he was hidden away to protect him from the Empire, and now it's time to step out I can agree with. That would have been perfect and not in any way set Owen and Beru up against Luke's father's 'ideals,' whatever those were meant to be at the time/according to Obi-Wan.
- 3. Yeah, it would have been great if Obi-Wan gave Luke some background on the Jedi Order, but I feel like there was time for that later, in ghostly chats during downtime or while training with Yoda. I don't know if you lead with philosophy and history when rescuing the princess and destroying the planet-killing space station are the top two things on your to-do list. And Luke spent a few weeks with Yoda so we don't really know what else he was taught aside from all the running and the handstands. He seemed to be doing all right in RotJ anyway, some Force-choking aside.
- 4. I don't think Obi-Wan was advising Luke to bury his feelings forever and ever. Luke may have interpreted it that way (certainly Anakin seemed to, despite ten years of Jedi training), so much as he was saying, don't let them overwhelm you while you're fighting the Emperor and Vader, because they will use your feelings and Leia against you if they can. And he's not wrong - Luke does get overwhelmed when Vader picks up on the whole 'sister' thing, but then he masters himself and wins out, at least in terms of 1. not dying and 2. bringing Vader back to the light. I feel like Coach Taylor lays it out best: "Every man at some point in his life is gonna lose a battle. He's gonna fight and he's gonna lose. What makes him a man, is that in the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself."
Now, the two lies that actually did some damage and Obi-Wan should have pulled on his big boy pants and told the truth (speaking from an in-text/Watsonian perspective):
1. "Darth Vader is your father" - I absolutely understand to some degree why Obi-Wan couldn't bring himself to tell Luke this, especially not early on. And I don't need to rehash all the reasons why for Obi-Wan it was not even really a lie! Why he could weasel around with "from a certain point of view" and still look his ghost-self in the ghost-mirror. I mean, I can if you want me to! I'm happy to discuss Obi-Wan at any time! but I feel like it is, like, 93% irrelevant to this particular discussion, because once Luke was leaving for Bespin, it was CRUCIAL that he have all the facts going into that confrontation, and he didn't and it cost him dearly. It didn't even need to be Obi-Wan who told him! he could have kept on with his "I'm not mad I'm just disappointed" bit as Luke left if he really needed to for his own peace of mind.
But Yoda should have done it instead of being cryptic and discouraging, and while I'm not anti-Yoda as so many people are, I do think he made a huge mistake there, and did so willfully instead of genuinely. I think it shows on both their parts that they continued to misunderstand what drove Anakin Skywalker (despite, on Obi-Wan's part, knowing him really well) and also a real unwillingness to question their own worldviews despite having them upended so terribly. I mean, twenty years of meditating in the desert/the swamp over everything that went wrong (and no doubt with a side order of routine self-flagellation for Obi-Wan, at least), and it never occurred to either of them to think, well, Anakin never did anything the way we expected, so why should he be a Sith in the expected way? (and remember, he's not actually that great at being a Sith.)
5. "Leia is your sister." I mean, I guess he'd been alone in the desert for 19 years, so maybe it wouldn't have occurred to him that cute teenagers in adrenaline-fueled and dangerous situations might end up kissing and stuff! Especially when BOTH of them were Skywalkers. I mean, he knew Anakin met Padme when he was 9 and was like, "She's the one for me!" and ten years later, actually made it happen, so I don't know what he was thinking when he neglected to mention that the girl currently inspiring Luke to radical notions of overthrowing the Empire was none other than his sister. It would have at least avoided some awkward situations and the potential for a very different sort of family tragedy, anyway. ("One more date and we would've had a Greek tragedy on our hands." - Soapdish) I guess he was just really confident in Han Solo's charms to win the princess's heart in the end? *g*
1a) remove the month from the day heading, because of course I don't need to know what month a day is in (it does this even on the "month changes during the week" weeks, going from 31 (for October) to 1 (for November), whyyyyy)
2) make the time of day REALLY REALLY SMALL because of course I don't need to know what times things are
3) decide to get REALLY REALLY CONFUSED about how to handle dual calendar systems, even though it had no issue with that before
note: the "all day events" section is tall and mostly empty in the Old Google Calendar one because further on in the week, I have a lot of stacked all day things; that's my RL calendar. The new version is the fandom calendar, which has much fewer things cluttering it up
Old google calendar:
New google calendar:
2. A latte. Because latte.
3. Goofy kid-and-kitten shenanigans this morning before school.
4. Shabbat is coming and I get to have Shabbat dinner with some people I love!
5. The Good Place is on On Demand, so last night I watched the two-part S2 premiere and it made me happy.
How are y'all?
I know this is just me getting older, but I am weirdly suspicious not of Windows 10 as a system but of the Windows 10 aesthetic. Everything is too smooth and square. Things that should be rounded are pointy and things that should be pointy are rounded. Everything is well-animated and in soothing pastel greys.
I come from an era where computers weren’t even MEANT to be soothing, where it was just accepted that they would challenge you visually as well as implicitly. And I’m not saying we should go back to a Windows 3.0 aesthetic or anything, I don’t want computers to be difficult, I’m just saying. It’s…
It’s quiet. Too quiet.
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2xU8suD
In the end I went to Ten Thousand Villages (well, Dix Mille Villages) and got a couple of paperweights/worrystones, one engraved "Joy" and the other "Peace." They're pretty and friendly, not so expensive or so cheap as to be embarrassing for anyone, and fitting for a church-related function. Plus they won't be degraded by spending ten hours in the car before being presented! Yay.
And I'm supposed to be on the road in two minutes and I'm not ready yet aaaaaa. Happy weekend, all!
First, a sweet little first date story (Mycroft/Lestrade):
Stigma (12299 words) by Mystrade_Dispatch
Fandom: Sherlock (TV), Sherlock Holmes & Related Fandoms
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Mycroft Holmes/Greg Lestrade, Mycroft Holmes/Lestrade
Characters: Mycroft Holmes, Greg Lestrade
Additional Tags: first date story, First Kiss
"Stigma (n): A mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person.
Stigma (Lepidopterology): A patch of modified scales on the wings of males of some butterfly species that release pheromones during courtship."
Thanks in part to his own daring, Greg gets to know a whole different side of Mycroft.
Second, a Torchwood/Sherlock crossover in the five things type format that was charmingly fond of both Mycroft and Ianto:
A Good Many Family Trees Are Shady (6519 words) by blackkat
Fandom: Torchwood, Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Ianto Jones & Mycroft Holmes, Jack Harkness/Ianto Jones, slight Sherlock Holmes/John Watson
Characters: Mycroft Holmes, Jack Harkness, John Watson, Sherlock Holmes, Ianto Jones
Additional Tags: Family, Angst, Humor, Tragedy, 5+1
(Or, five times Ianto Jones called Mycroft Holmes 'Tad', and one time Mycroft called Ianto 'Son.')
Warning: This poem contains some intense topics. Highlight to read the warnings, some of which are spoilers. It includes confusion, indecision, college party hijinks, Whitney sneaking alcohol into a non-alcoholic event, binge-watching television, Whitney passing out drunk on the couch, reference to past alcohol misuse, reference to past rape, Mallory having a panic attack with awful flashbacks and other intrusive images, Heron calling the Student Health Center for Whitney, Mallory crying on Heron, and other angst. But there's a lot of fluff too. If these are sensitive issues for you, please consider your tastes and headspace before reading onward. However, this is a major plot point, so skipping it would leave a gap.
( Read more... )
(I'm Texan. I grew up on country, okay? ^_^)
Feel free to link to Youtube versions of songs that make you happy! I expect yours are less mushy than mine. ^_^
4/5. Danny is fifteen and trans and very, very closeted. She happens to be present for the death of a superhero, and when his mantle passes to her, it transitions her.
A lot of this is great. Though in the case of Danny’s deteriorating relationship with her parents, “great” also means scary and infuriating. See also: the greatest transphobic threat to Danny’s safety and happiness in this book is arguably from someone who is supposed to be on her side and who claims the banner of feminism, which is painfully spot on.
I kind of wish this wasn’t a superhero book though? Which is not relevant, I realize, since this book is really just what you’d get if you reimagined a Marvel superhero’s origin story to include transness and queerness then wrote it in prose. That’s not a bad thing! But I am 0% interested in the extended – seriously, lengthy – descriptions of all the punching and kicking nonsense. And only minimally interested in superhero tech. And only a touch more interested in the ethics of superpowers conversation. Been there, done that.
So I guess what I’m saying is that this is a great book from a purely representational perspective – yay straight-faced superhero origin story about a transgirl – but I am not interested in straight-faced superhero origin stories these days.
Music: "Be Mean" by DNCE
Fandom: True Blood S5-602
Summary: Love how you keep me hurting.
Content Notes: Physical triggers (e.g., epilepsy or migraine: strobe lights, bright lights, "stuttery" cuts between 2-3 stills), blood
Notes: Made for lilly_the_kid for the Equinox Exchange (Fall 2017).
Download Link: Down The Rabbit Hole (82mb)
So I had heard about Pam/Tara becoming a thing on True Blood but I had stopped watching in s4 and never went back to finish the show so I never saw their storyline. But in my rewatch, I was mesmerized by the Pam/Tara storyline and how much chemistry they had together and I couldn't get enough of their scenes. I decided I had to make a treat for them and went looking for a song and after being frustrated for awhile, I finally found this one which captured some of the dom/sub aspects of their relationship which I enjoy so much. It was fun to vid as I love all their scenes and I only wish the show had done more storylines with them. I was glad to finally get a chance to vid Pam and if you're curious, you only need to watch S5 (Pam&Tara scenes) to enjoy the vid!
Music: "Down The Rabbit Hole" by Adam Lambert
Fandom: True Blood S1-4
Summary: Going down the rabbit hole
Content Notes: Physical triggers (e.g., epilepsy or migraine: strobe lights, bright lights, "stuttery" cuts between 2-3 stills), blood
Notes: Made for lilly_the_kid for the Equinox Exchange (Fall 2017).
Download Link: Down The Rabbit Hole (75mb)
So one of the main reasons I offered True Blood was because I was really sad to hear that the actor who played Lafayette, Nelsan Ellis had died as Lafayette was my favorite character and the main reason I watched True Blood (also Pam). I had always wanted to make a vid for him but never got around to it and so I thought this exchange was the perfect time to do so. I wanted to make a Lafayette character study vid but I really struggled with finding a song that encapsulated all of his character so I kept looking as I rewatched the show but only watched the scenes with Lafayette, Pam or something gay in it (inc Godric/Eric) which were really the best part of the show. I fell in love with Lafayette/Jesus all over again so when I couldn't find a song, I remembered I used to want to vid Adam Lambert's Down The Rabbit Hole to the show and realized the s4 magic/medium plot would work perfectly for it. Once I decided on the song, I struggled a little with making the vid until I realized I just needed to cut the song down and then I could just use all the pretty parts of the plot and it made vidding it a lot more fun and matched my recipient's request even more. In the end, I was happy to have made it but I still hope someday somebody will make an epic Lafayette vid because he deserves it.